Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display: Templates comprehensive resource provides detailed information and a range of templates to support the production and use of Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) communication books (requires Boardmaker, please see below).
Direct Access Templates
Help create a wide range of communication books to suit varying communication, language and sensory requirements.
This comprehensive resource provides detailed information and a range of templates to support the production and use of Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) communication books.
This resource provides practitioners with templates and guidelines to develop an appropriate communication book and also describes comprehensive strategies to enable the use of the system in the child’s daily life – at home, at school and in the community.
Who is this resource for?
This resource is for people supporting children who are learning to communicate using aided symbols (pictographs, graphic symbols, whole written words). Therapists, teachers and parents will all have the opportunity to access the materials in this resource for their clients, students, children and young people.
What does PODD Direct Access resource contain?
The resource provides templates to create a range of PODD communication books designed for children who use direct pointing with a whole hand, finger or pointer. Some of these page sets can also be modified to accommodate pick up and give/show or partner-assisted scanning access methodologies.
The 3-CD set includes:
- A full version of the book titled Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display communication books by Gayle Porter (2007). This publication describes the theoretical underpinnings and features of PODD communication books and includes a detailed section on teaching learning strategies
- Templates for 14 different PODD communication books from simple early functions to complex syntax. These templates can be viewed and customised using Boardmaker version 5 or later (not included).
To support you to make customised PODD communication books each set of templates includes:
- an information file providing a detailed description for that communication book’s language, page layout, vocabulary organisation and navigation pathways
- construction files providing specific instructions for printing and constructing each communication book
What’s on the CDs?
- CD 1 contains:
- A full version of the book titled Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display communication books. This publication describes the theoretical underpinnings and features of PODD communication books and includes a detailed section on teaching learning strategies. (Note: This does not contain any usable template.)
- Step-by-step instructions for selecting and customising a PODD template to suit individual requirements
- Vocabulary ideas
- Colour master file (Boardmaker format)
- Template folders for one page opening PODD communication books, from 9 per page early functions to 20 per page expanded functions (Boardmaker format).
- Template folders for group PODD communication books (Boardmaker format).
- CD 2 contains template folders for two page opening PODD communication books: 40 key word, 70 expanded key word, and 100 plus complex syntax (Boardmaker format).
- CD 3 contains template folders for two page opening with side panel PODD communication books: 36 key word, 48 expanded keyword, and 90 plus complex syntax (Boardmaker format).
Make Alternative Access PODD communication books with a range of vocabulary and language complexity.
These PODD Alternative Access templates are designed for individuals who:
- have physical challenges directly pointing to sufficient symbols to meet their communication and language requirements
- can see the picture symbols and manage the visual complexity of a whole page to locate the symbol they require.
Included in this resource are templates to make 22 different Alternative Access PODD communication books with a range of vocabulary and language complexity for individuals to use:
- Direct eye-gaze access
- Partner-assisted visual scanning access
- Eye-gaze plus partner-assisted visual scanning combination access
- Direct pointing plus partner-assisted visual scanning combination access
- Colour coded column plus partner-assisted visual scanning access
- Coded access
What does the PODD Alternative Access resource contain?
Templates to make 22 different Alternative Access PODD communication books, including Early Functions, Expanded Functions, Key Word, Expanded Key Word, Complex Syntax and more…
Included in the folders for each communication book are:
- A detailed Information file describing the target population, access options, language, page layout, navigation, optional pages and page by page customisation for that PODD communication book. Read this file to assist you to select an appropriate communication book and customise the book to suit the individual’s communication requirements.
- Detailed Construction files providing step-by-step instructions to select materials, print and construct that PODD communication book.
- A folder including Boardmaker templates for all the pages and page options to make that PODD communication book. These generic templates are opened, customised and printed using Boardmaker version 5 or later (not included).
Videos are included to demonstrate the operational procedures for each access method. Video examples of direct and full models using a range of alternative methods are also included.
The Book: Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) Communication Books
This book, by Gayle Porter (2017) in pdf file format, describes the theoretical underpinnings that have influenced the design of PODD communication book templates. Topics covered include the development of PODD, the features of PODD communication books, alternative access methods, aided language stimulation and intervention strategies. The information included in this book is essential for effective customisation and implementation of PODD communication books to support individuals learning to meet their varied communication requirements.