DTSL Assistive Technology are the official New Zealand reseller for HelpKidzLearn
Engaging, interactive sensory stories designed to focus on a range of learning intentions, developmental areas, and topics relevant for learners with a wide range of educational needs.
Used widely in a range of educational settings, Inclusive Stories are fundamental for helping with cognitive development, sensory processing, communication skills, switching skills, cause and effect, building confidence, fostering repetition, reducing anxiety, sensory loss, AAC and much more.
Learning and Development
Inclusive Stories have been carefully collated into 12 meaningful categories and specially written to address functional skills and cross-curricular personal development e.g., SMSC (spiritual, moral, social, and cultural development) and SEMH (social, emotional, and mental health).
Inclusive Stories also cover an array of topics including literacy, numeracy, science, computing, arts, humanities, PHSCE, physical education, design and technology and much more.
Each Inclusive Story has accompanying resources to ensure maximum use and value for an educational setting.
These resources include in depth delivery guidance, assessment and recording sheets, props lists, printables, symbol lists for AAC, cross-curricular ideas, a recipe book and more.
Inclusive Stories can be accessed by a wide variety of access methods including mouse and keyboard, touch screens and interactive classroom displays, one or two switches and eye gaze technology.
Inclusive Stories can be accessed securely online via Windows and Mac PC, or Chromebook.
Alternatively, learners can play all touch accessible Inclusive Stories directly on an iPad using supported browsers.
Research has identified that multi-sensory story telling can help individuals with a wide range of learning disabilities:
- PMLD: Sensory rich experiences that allow for structured exploration and repetition leading to increased anticipation and engagement.
- ASD: The safe, predictable nature of the stories lend themselves well to students with Autism. Excellent for sensory processing disorders and for facilitating symbol-based and other augmentative communication systems.
- SLD: The simple and engaging nature of the stories help develop a range of numeracy & literacy skills. Targeted stories help focus on PSD, communication, independence, ICT and many more skills & concepts.
- SEMH: Familiar stories and routines can help reduce anxieties and offer opportunities to interact with others in a structured way. The humorous and mischievous nature of many of the stories appeal to more challenging students and the structure and adaptability can help enormously.
- ESOL: Highly sensory approach ensures listeners aren’t overly reliant on receptive communication. Excellent for AAC users too.
- Predominant Neurotype: Engaging, inclusive stories that appeal to all learning styles and are universal for development of all learning. Children, teens, and adults respond very positively.
- Dementia: Inclusive Stories can help with sensory loss and can alleviate associated lethargy, confusion and disorientation.
A Pete Wells Creation
Pete is an award-winning SEN teacher and senior leader, proudly working for learners of all ages with special educational needs.
He is best known for writing and animating amusing multi-sensory stories, which he has been producing for over twenty years! Inclusive Stories are used by educators to bring a range of sensory experiences and enjoyment for children and adults of all ages and abilities.
HelpKidzLearn are excited to announce that Student Profiles are now available. They have created a short video (1m 38s) demonstrating the ease in which you can create student profiles.
Make learning ‘fun’ and personalise your learner’s experience by including their name, an avatar and colour, as well as their preferred method of access within HelpKidzLearn Games & Activities, ChooseIt Maker, ChooseIt Readymades and Inclusive Stories.
Creating new profiles is quick and easy. Personalise your learner’s profile by including their name or identifying word, and choose an avatar and colour.
Choose your learner’s preferred method of access: mouse, one or two switch access, touch, or eye gaze. When an activity is launched the access for this learner will already be applied.
Organise your learners’ profiles into groups with a simple management tool. Perfect for organising your profiles and ideal when using HelpKidzLearn with a class or large group.
Pre-loaders have been updated to include the avatar of your learners to increase engagement for your learners and make learning ‘fun’.
Student Profiles will work with all your HelpKidzLearn subscriptions*, enabling you to launch activities quickly with your learners’ preferences already applied.
* Currently not available within Insight
Inclusive Stories has been named Education Resources Awards Winner 2023 in the category of Special Education Resource or Equipment.
“The judges thought Inclusive Stories was a comprehensive and well-designed resource which provided a fun and multisensory way to engage young people with S.E.N.D.Comments from the Education Resources Awards Judges
The resources are adaptive to specific needs and not only focus on the needs of the pupils, but also addresses teacher wellbeing and workload. The video submission “lifted the room” for the judging panel.”
Inclusive Technology have been named BETT Awards 2023 Winner for SEND Resources Products & Services.
Winners represent products and services that make a distinct contribution to supporting learners with special educational needs.