Students develop a mental concept of increasing quantity as they drag and connect the bead bars from the virtual wooden box. The design is a new incarnation of a classic Montessori math material, the “short chains” and “long chains”. It uses the Montessori colored bead chains to show the relationship of number multiples in a chain/number line format.
Many children enjoy building on their success by adding more beads to the chain and continuing the work.
This app teaches skip counting with Montessori beads as a precursor to multiplication tables/math facts in a visual form, leading to deeper understanding. Great for Montessori and more traditional classrooms — extra practice at home and for homeschoolers.
As students progress in their learning, they can enter numbers themselves for the multiples.
This app was created collaboratively by incorporating ideas from Montessori teachers, parents, IT professionals, and perhaps most importantly, Montessori and more traditionally schooled students themselves.
Students will be able to:
- Build on-screen bead chains for 1’s to 10’s
- Learn and practice skip counting for 1’s to 10’s
- Move labels for the skip counting beads to the correct place on the chain
- Type in the number themselves when they have learned the skip counting
- Use the “show me” function to see how the app works, or to review chains they want to see presented
- Practice and test their multiplication math fact skills
- Review factors