It may be used to play games either on a standard PC or on an Xbox via an Xbox Adaptive Controller. The user’s AAC device, such as a Gridpad running Grid 3 or a computer*, displays a special gaming Gridset with a similar layout to a standard game controller handset.
Simply gaze at any of the grid cells and the corresponding game controller action is sent to the game console/ gaming computer to successfully play the game. Every one of the controls on a standard game controller is reproduced in the grid set, including both momentary and timed thumbstick movements and single, double, and timed presses of all buttons, bumpers and triggers. A Rapid-Fire option is also included for all buttons and triggers.
To get started, all you need is an existing AAC device with an eye-tracker device and an infra-red output†, together with a separate gaming computer or Xbox/ Xbox Adaptive Controller combination and a Game On 1 unit.
The grid set may be easily customised for particular users and/or particular games, a feature which is especially useful when the user has low cognition and would be unable to understand a full game controller layout. Editing the grid set is particularly beneficial when using Game On 1 with Xbox Co-Pilot. Additionally, Smartbox offers a Gridset download library which also allows user-generated Gridsets to be shared for the benefit of everybody in the disabled gaming community.
Up to six gaming Profiles may be stored and recalled on Game On 1, either using the keypad or directly on the AAC device using eye-gaze. Profiles are useful both for customising the gaming experience for individual games or for individual users, depending on their preferences and particular needs.
Game On 1 also allows up to four players to be in the same room, a facility which can equally enable co-operative gaming, where each player takes control of a subset of the controls, or to allow gaming tournaments where multiple gamers are playing individually in the same setting. Each player will need his or her own Game On 1 device.
- Allows eye-gaze enabled AAC device users to access computer games using only their eyes.
- Can implement all the controls on a game controller, or a subset.
- Interfaces to a gaming computer* or an Xbox via an Xbox Adaptive Controller.
- Can be used with Co-Pilot to allow a gaming partner to assist with game play.
- Stores up to six Profiles to allow customisation for individual users and/or individual games.
- Multi-player facility allows up to 4 players either co-operative play of a single game, or simultaneous game play in a single setting (e.g. gaming tournaments).
- Several easily modified Gridsets available and custom Gridsets may be shared with the gaming community.
- Fully customisable grid sets allow the grid to be changed according to the user’s unique requirements.
- Can also be used for gaming using switch scanning instead of eye-gaze if preferred.
Eye-gaze gaming using either Xbox or Windows 10/11 computer via Xbox Adaptive Controller.
Game On 1 Instructions (PDF)
Game on 1 Smartbox Gridsets
*PC running Grid 3 must have an infra-red output, for example by connecting a Tobii EyeR or Abilia Progress Star USB.
† To begin with, grid sets are available only for Grid 3. This will be expanded to include other AAC devices over time.
Game On with Pretorian Technologies is a registered trademark of Pretorian Technologies Ltd.
Xbox, a trademark of Microsoft Corporation, is included for illustrative purposes and is acknowledged.
Grid 3, a trademark of Smartbox Assistive Technology, is included for illustrative purposes and is acknowledged.